Do Jews and Christians believe Muhammed was a prophet, like how Muslims do about Moses and Jesus?

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 5:13pm, 9th Mar 2018. | Views: 31 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
5:13pm, 9th Mar 2018.

Michael Moore

studied at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

Christians DO NOT believe Mohammed was a prophet at all.  As a matter of fact, we believe Muhammed was one of the false prophets Jesus warned us about in Matthew 7, since the Koran contradicts the Bible and refutes vociferously the divinity, death and resurrection of of Jesus Christ.  Furthermore, Mohammed fits the description of the "wolf in sheep's clothing" Jesus talked about in the following passage since Mohammed and his followers call for the persecution and death of Christians.

True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

9:29 Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Now let’s read what the great Islamic scholars say about this verse. Ibn Kathir’s Quranic commentary for verse 9:29, pages 405 – 409, states:

Page 404:

The Order to fight People of the Scriptures until they give the Jizyah.

Page 405

This honorable Ayah was revealed with the order to fight the People of the Book, after the Pagans were defeated, the people entered Allah’s religion in large numbers, and the Arabian Peninsula was secured under the Muslims’ control. Allah commanded His Messenger to fight the People of the Scriptures, Jews and Christians, on the ninth year of Hijrah, and he prepared his army to fight the Romans and called the people to Jihad announcing his intent and destination….

Paying Jizyah is a Sign of Kufr (Unbeliever) and Disgrace.Allah said, until they pay the Jizyah, if they do not choose to embrace Islam, with willing submission, in defeat and subservience, and feel themselves subdued, disgraced, humiliated and belittled. Therefore, Muslims are not allowed to honor the people of Dhimmah or elevate them above Muslims, for they are miserable, disgraced and humiliated.

Since Islam contradicts Christian doctrine and values at every turn, Christians consider Islam and Allah anti-christ entities.

1 John 22 makes this clear.

Warnings Against Denying the Son

18Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

20But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.e 21I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. 22Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

24As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

26I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Jason Coston

Do Muslims believe Bahá'u'lláh was a prophet?

As a rule, each Abrahamic religion is defined by 6 time windows:

Era 1: The time before god(s) spoke to people.

Era 2: The time before god(s) spoke their final perfect word to people.  Religious leaders from this time are seen as prophets whose message was not received or was distorted, imperfect.

Era 3: The time when god(s) spoke their final perfect word to people.  Religious leaders from this time are seen as prophets whose message was received and recorded perfectly.

Era 4: The time when the god(s)' final perfect word was built into a complete system. Religious leaders from this time are seen as people chosen by the 3rd Era's prophet, who have special but fallible insight into what the prophet's message really means.  Their written words are also held as authoritative.

Era 5: The time after the religion was thus completed, and before the god(s) return.  Religious leaders from this time are seen as false prophets, either with good intentions or bad but not actually in contact with the god(s).

Era 6: The time when the god(s) will come and perfect everything.  Religious leaders from this time are seen as fulfillers of Era 3's prophets, or those prophets return.  But they have no new message.

This 6-era paradigm holds true for Islam, Christianity, Mormonism, Judaism.  Right now all Abrahamic religions agree it is the 5th Era.  They disagree about when the 4th era ended, when the 3rd Era was, and when the 2nd Era was.  Each new Abrahamic religion shifts all previous ones so that their 3rd and 4th Eras are part of its 2nd Era.  Likewise, each existing Abrahamic religion sees any new religion's 3rd and 4th Eras as part of its 5th Era.

Except doomsday cults, who think their 5th Era has ended, and always go through an amazing arc from craziness to massive disappointment and denial.

JJ Cohn

Amateur in Too Long to Read Answers about Anything at all...

Barring perhaps some individual exceptions,  I would think the general answer to this would probably basically be No.  That neither group really thinks that the prophecy of Muhammad was entirely valid, or binding,  much less that it corrected or superceded the earlier scriptures (Jewish Bible, Christian scriptures) from the same relative tradition. 

Muslims today generally believe that the entire Koran is the eternal uncreated literal speech of God, in classical Arabic, as transmitted to Muhammad via the angel Gabriel over a two-decade plus period.

Even if an individual Jew or Christian made an admittance that Muhammad might have been some kind of prophet in so far as he led the pagan Arabs to God (which, I can't speak for Christians, but Jews won't do because we generally believe valid prophecy had ended almost 1,000 yrs before Muhammad's time),  they would be quite unlikely to state that they think the entire Koran is the literal verbatim word of God as directly transmitted to Muhammad. 

If they did think that,  then they're near the point of converting to Islam, basically. 

For Christians, for instance,  the Koran contains at least one thing which essentially removes the bedrock of their entire faith system. Which is, that Jesus was not God nor God's son, in any literal "father-son" sense,  nor was he ever actually crucified.   Nor then did he ever die, or rise from the dead either.   If a Christian were to start to believe that's true, then they're not Christian anymore in any case.  

As for Jews, for whom Jesus has no theological importance at all really, the problems are more complex.  But there are nonetheless contradictions and impossibilities present for us as well (the idea that true prophecy had ended with Malachi, for example,  being one of those).

Ronald Kimmons

more Christian than you think.

A Christian is someone who believes in the divinity of Jesus Christ - that He is the Son of God and atoned for the sins of humanity.

Muhammad taught that Jesus was not the Son of God, but merely a prophet - and that, indeed, God has no children. The concept of soteriology is completely absent from Islam as well.

So no. By definition, a Christian cannot believe that Muhammad was a prophet. Unless of course we completely reinvent Muhammad in the way that Islam reinvented Jesus.

Emma Nwabueze

Better to seek education of the obvious rather than investigation of the obscure

No. Christians do not believe that. To me as a Christian and almost every other person that shares my faith , Mohamed was at best a great military strategist and leader like Alexander the Great and at worst a pretender, false prophet and demon possesed  man who forced millions to convert to his delusional half baked beliefs and led many astray. 
1John 4:3 and 2John 1;7 are Biblical yardsticks for judging any other faith or belief that tries to draw from Christianity like Islam is doing. 
Granted there may be some good aspects in Islam as well as some other religions, but that does not grant them theological recognition as being inspired of God like Christianity.

Vincen Mathai

All Praise Hippie Jesus

The revelations that Prophet Mohammed received was not directly from God , unlike how Moses or Jesus received, but rather from an arch-angel Gabriel. So how can one say whether the revelation was not received from Lucifer himself ?

It is a known theological fact that Lucifer was an arch-angel , just like Gabriel and Michael , who had fell out of favour with God.

People tend to assume that Lucifer will look something like this:

But in fact, Lucifer was one of the finest angels God had under his service. Lucifer therefore will look more like an holy angel , like shown below:

Do you see any difference between the angelic image of Lucifer and that of Gabriel, seen below ?

IMO I think Lucifer came in the guise of an archangel Gabriel and tricked Mohammed into believing that the Quran was a revelation from God . Angels can take any form of their choice such that the whenever these angels  reveal themselves to normal humans  it won't scare  the people shitless. The only form Angels can't replicate is that of God and his omniscience and omnipresence .

Now as per Christian faith, Jesus and the Holy Spirit was sent to Earth with a purpose to finish the Law ,which was followed by God's followers. Jesus is the fulfillment of God's Law and once Jesus got resurrected the whole purpose of the Law is null and void. Following the Law is not something God wanted since then.

So how does an angel who hated God , foil his plan of spreading the Holy Spirit across the world ? All Lucifer had to do is to revive the old Law in a new form and trick people into believing that the legacy of Jesus was the aberration in God's plan. Through Quran, Lucifer told that Christianity is the one that diverged from the path of God  , whereas this divergence from following the Law was all part of God's plan as per Christian belief.

Therefore these 2 points are my 2 cents as to why I think  that whoever Mohammed talked to could be the Devil himself. Hence I can never consider him a Prophet on the same level as Moses.

P.S: I am not an expert in theology of Christianity and Islam.

Shawn Hornby

majored in religious studies and philosophy then changed major to linguistics

Muhammad lived in a land rife with idolatry.  We are not sure if he was on of those idol worshipers before his conversion.  He did preach against much of the idol worship.  However, Christians believe there is a continuity of the messages of the prophets.  They never contradicted each other in essence.  It appears the teachings of Muhammad contradicts the Law of Moses and of the previous prophets, notably Jesus. 

Jesus clearly affirms the Law and the Prophets.  He was born of a virgin and resurrected from the grave because He knew no sin.   He was perfect and never sinned once in His life whereas all other prophets did sin and died.  Jesus did the most miracles of any prophet while Muhammad did not do even one miracle.  Jesus made many predictions of the future.   I have yet to see that many directly attributed to Muhammad in the Koran.

The Bible does tell us to test others to see if they speak the truth.  It also gives us guidelines of testing to see if one is a true prophet or not:

The teaching about men wearing gold and silk goes counter to the Law of Moses and even of the Parables of Jesus.  In Christianity, both genders are to dress modestly.  No one is forbidden to wear anything that might cause others to lust after them.  That is often left up to the discretion of the believer.

There are lots of things which the Koran says about Muhammad and even in the Hadiths which raise eyebrows for students of the Torah and of Jesus.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...