headlogo

According to Islam, who is the father of Jesus Christ? Does the Quran explicitly mention this?

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 11:01pm, 8th Mar 2018. | Views: 85 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
11:01pm, 8th Mar 2018.

Maulana Wahiduddin Khan

Islamic Scholar, Peace Activist and Padma Bhushan Awardee

As per Islamic belief Jesus was born without a father, and Muslim scholars are unanimous on this. It may sound unnatural at first but it has been expressed in the Quran that just as Adam had no father, Jesus too did not have a father and for the omnipotent Creator, his creation was the same as that of Adam.

“Jesus in the sight of God is like Adam. He created him from dust; then said to him, ‘Be!’ and he was.” (Quran 3:59)

It must be understood that though Islam and Christianity hold the same position on the miracle birth of Jesus, Islam however does not associate divinity with Jesus Christ. Muslims do not believe Jesus to be the son of God but rather a Prophet just like Abraham, Moses and Muhammad. According to Islamic belief, God has clearly stated in the Quran that he did not beget a son as per Christian traditions. There is another verse to this effect:

Such was Jesus, the son of Mary. That is the whole truth, about which they still dispute: it does not befit the majesty of God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! He is far above that: when He decrees something, He says only, ‘Be!’ and it is. (Quran 19:34-35)

The Quran describes the events that took place before Jesus’ birth. An angel appeared to Mary and gave her the glad tiding about the birth of a son. Mary replied that she had no husband and asked how she could have a son? The angel told her that this was what God had ordained.

“Recount in the Book how Mary withdrew from her people to an eastern place and kept herself in seclusion from them. We sent her Our angel, who presented himself to her as a full-grown human being. When she saw him, she said, ‘I seek refuge in the compassionate God from you; [do not come near] if you fear the Lord.’ ‘I am only the messenger of your Lord,’ he replied. ‘I shall bestow upon you the gift of a son endowed with purity.’ She said, ‘How can I have a son when no man has touched me; and neither have I been unchaste?’ [The angel] replied, ‘So shall it be; your Lord says, “This is easy for Me; and We shall make him a sign to people and a blessing, from Us. This has been decreed.” (Quran 19:16-21)

At another place the Quran says that God breathed His Spirit into Mary before she gave birth to Jesus:

“Remember the one who guarded her chastity; so We breathed Our Spirit into her, and made her and her son a sign for all people.” (Quran 21:91)

This is why in Islam, Jesus is referred to as ruhullah, or ‘the Spirit of God’ and not ibnullah, or ‘the son of God’.

Jim Ashby

Freethinker and staunch opponent of Islamism.

According to Islam, who is the father of Jesus Christ? Does the Quran explicitly mention this?

The Quran makes no mention of Joseph, though it does mention Mary. And Islam denies Jesus as a deity, so God as Jesus’ father is out of the question. :-)

However, Joseph (Yusuf) is mentioned in tafsir, such as that by ibn Kathir. Here’s the relevant passage:

Allah, the Exalted, informs about Maryam that when Jibril had spoken to her about what Allah said, she accepted the decree of Allah. Many scholars of the predecessors (Salaf) have mentioned that at this point the angel (who was Jibril) blew into the opening of the garment that she was wearing. Then the breath descended until it entered into her vagina and she conceived the child by the leave of Allah. Muhammad bin Ishaq said, "When she conceived him and filled her water jug (at a well), she returned (to her people). After this, her menstrual bleeding ceased and she experienced what the pregnant woman experiences of sickness, hunger, change of color and there was even a change in the manner of her speech. After this, no people came to visit any house like they did the house of Zakariyya. The word spread among the Children of Israel and the people were saying, `Verily, her partner (in fornication) was Yusuf, because there was no one else in the temple with her except him.' So she hid herself from the people and placed a veil between herself and them. No one saw her and she did not see anyone else.''

There’s not much more to report on this matter.

Teuku Syahrul Rizanur

3:45

Lo! The angels said: "O Mary! Behold, God sends thee the glad tiding, through a word from Him, [of a son] who shall become known as the Christ. (32) Jesus, son of Mary, of great honour in this world and in the life to come, and [shall be] of those who are drawn near unto God.

(32) Lit., "whose name shall be 'the Anointed' (al-masih)". The designation al-masih is the Arabicized form of the Aramaic meshiha which, in turn, is derived from the Hebrew mahsiah, "the anointed" - a term frequently applied in the Bible to the Hebrew kings, whose accession to power used to be consecrated by a touch with holy oil taken from the Temple. This anointment appears to have been so important a rite among the Hebrews that the term "the anointed" became in the course of time more or less synonymous with "king". Its application to Jesus may have been due to the widespread conviction among his contemporaries (references to which are found in several places in the Synoptic Gospels) that he was descended in direct - and obviously legitimate - line from the royal House of David. (It is to be noted that this could not have related to his mother's side, because Mary belonged to the priestly class descending from Aaron, and thus to the tribe of Levi, while David descended from the tribe of Judah.) Whatever may have been the historical circumstances, it is evident that the honorific "the Anointed" was applied to Jesus in his own lifetime. In the Greek version of the Gospels - which is undoubtedly based on a now-lost Aramaic original - this designation is correctly translated as Christos (a noun derived from the Greek verb chriein, "to anoint"): and since it is in this form - "the Christ" - that the designation al-masih has achieved currency in all Western languages, I am using it throughout in my translation.

3:46

And he shall speak unto men in his cradle, (33) and as a grown man, and shall be of the righteous.

(33) A metaphorical allusion to the prophetic wisdom which was to inspire Jesus from a very early age. As regards the expression min al-muqarrabin ("of those who are drawn near", i.e., unto God), see 56:11, where the most excellent among the inmates of paradise are thus described.

3:47

Said she: "O my Sustainer! How can I have a son when no man has ever touched me?" [The angel] answered: "Thus it is: God creates what He wills: (34) when He wills a thing to be, He but says unto it, 'Be' - and it is.

(34) See 19:16-22 and the corresponding notes. In the context of the story of Mary in Al-'Imran, the announcement made to her, as well as the parallel one to Zachariah (verses 39-40 above), is meant to stress God's unlimited power of creation - specifically, in both cases, His power to create the circumstances in which His will is to manifest itself - and thus to bring about any event, however unexpected or even improbable it might seem at the time of the announcement.

3:48

And he will impart unto thy son (35) revelation, and wisdom, and the Torah, and the Gospel, (3:49) and [will make him] an apostle unto the children of Israel." (36)

(35) Lit., "to him".

(36) The passage which follows here - up to the end of verse 51 - may be understood in either of two ways: as part of the announcement made to Mary (implying that he would thus speak in the future) or, alternatively, as a statement of what, at a later time, he actually did say to the children of Israel. In view of the narrative form adopted in verses 52 ff., the second of these two alternatives seems preferable.

3:59

Verily, in the sight of God, the nature of Jesus is as the nature of Adam, whom He created out of dust and then said unto him, "Be" - and he is. (47)

(47) Lit., "The parable of Jesus (Isa) is as the parable of Adam...", etc. The expression mathal (rendered above as "nature") is often metaphorically employed to denote the state or condition (of a person or a thing), and is in this sense - as the commentators have pointed out - synonymous with sifah (the "quality" or "nature" of a thing). As is evident from the sequence, the above passage is part of an argument against the Christian doctrine of the divinity of Jesus. The Qur'an stresses here, as in many other places, the fact that Jesus, like Adam - by which name, in this context, the whole human race is meant - was only a mortal "created out of dust", i.e., out of substances, both organic and inorganic, which are found in their elementary forms on and in the earth. Cf. also 18:37, 22:5, 30:20, 35:11, 40:67, where the Qur'an speaks of all human beings as "created out of dust". That "Adam" stands here for the human race is clearly implied in the use of the present tense in the last word of this sentence.

3:60

[This is] the truth from thy Sustainer; be not, then, among the doubters!

Omar Chad

Senior technician Islam & The Quran, IAP Arzew (1979)

All praise is due to Allah( جل جلاله ), the Lord of the Worlds, The Beneficent, and the Merciful. Master of the Day of Judgment, and Allah’s peace and blessings be upon His Messenger, and the prophet’s family, his companions, and all those who follow them till the Day of Resurrection.

The answer of your question is in the Quran mentioned in the following verse:

(3/59 ) Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was.

So what you need to understand, without going too far in the details,Allah ( جل جلاله ) created Adam by his power / and hands from the clay, without father and mother.

In the case of Jesus (ﷺ), Allah ( جل جلاله ) created him in the womb of his mother "Mary" miraculously without father:

( 36/82 ) His command is only when He intends a thing that He says to it, "Be," and it is.

More power of Allah ( جل جلاله ):

( 36/81 ) Is not He who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the likes of them? Yes, [it is so]; and He is the Knowing Creator.

Jesus (ﷺ) was a prophet not a god/or son of god

Allah ( جل جلاله ) knows best

Charvaka

1.“Jesus in the sight of God is like Adam. He created him from dust; then said to him, ‘Be!’ and he was.” (Quran 3:59)-

He couldve created him from clay and avoided the confusion ?The three known ways of god “creating” humans in abrahamic scriptues is through clay modelling,from rib,and blowing into vulva !, all of the rest of humans are born naturally by birth with supplied “souls” injected into fetus containing 23 pairs of chromosomes each from the parents.

2. “And who remained chaste/(protected) her genital parts , SoWe blew into her from Our Soul/Spirit , and We made/created her and her son (as) an evidence/sign to the creations all together/(universes).”

3.(Quran 21:91)-And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient(Q[66:12].) ””Implies god/yahweh/allah is father of jesus“,This is why in Islam, Jesus is referred to as ruhullah, or ‘the Spirit of God’ and not ibnullah, or ‘the son of God’”” (but 1 contradicts 2 and 3)

its a simple word play, its the conventional way of being a father ,unless Jesus is inhuman or a djinn he has to have XY chromosomes,X from mary and Y from God unless we dive into realm of “magic” . Adam and eve cant claim God to be their father at least not in the conventional terms.

It maybe deduced that in order to secure his closeness to Allah/Yahweh/elohim/god and to be his last prophet Muhammad and to ensure the Arabic supremacy in Islam (even in the pompous shahada in Islam there is stress on Allah and on Muhammad ,a supposed mere slave prophet of allah!! no mention of any other prophet let alone Jesus), undermined the importance of Jesus in Christianity that Muhammad had been in contact with(Waraka ibn Nawfal , Arabian Jews,christian tribes ),but though denying that god cannot beget a son ,the lack of proper adjustments in verses led to ambiguity and exchange of debates by Christians and Muslim apologists going on even today.

The historicity of Jesus itself is debated but as Islam was forged from the pre-existing Abrahamic faiths ,so the second coming and other stories was also added to islam as it posed no threat to Muhammad or his new Arab-centric religion,Muhammad could've claimed to be Allahs son but he did have real parents known to his tribe and only started getting “messages” after 40 yrs,or else Muhammads mother could've claimed some malak/angel blew into her vagina and she got pregnant but she was a pagan or maybe he did have a “miracle” immaculate conception (Mike Muluk's answer to Is it true that the prophet Mohammed was born 4 years after his father’s demise?)

Mir Farooq Ali

Been a Human since birth

Allah specifically addresses birth of Jesus in the Quran with Surah Maryam. The interesting bit about this Surah is that the birth of Jesus is not the only birth addressed in it. When the Surah begins, it begins with the story of Zakariya or Zakariah.

Kãf-Ha-Ya-’Aĩn- Ṣãd.

˹This is˺ a reminder of your Lord’s mercy to His servant Zachariah,

when he cried out to his Lord privately,

saying, “My Lord! Surely my bones have become brittle, and grey hair has spread across my head, but I have never been disappointed in my prayer to You, my Lord!

And I am concerned about ˹the faith of˺ my relatives after me, since my wife is barren. So grant me, by Your grace, an heir,

who will inherit ˹prophethood˺ from me and the family of Jacob, and make him, O Lord, pleasing ˹to You˺!”

˹The angels announced,˺ “O Zachariah! Indeed, We give you the good news of ˹the birth of˺ a son, whose name will be John—a name We have not given to anyone before.”

He wondered, “My Lord! How can I have a son when my wife is barren, and I have become extremely old?”

An angel replied, “So will it be! Your Lord says, ‘It is easy for Me, just as I created you before, when you were nothing!’” Quran 19: 1–9

There are many points to be highlighted in the above passage but I shall restrict myself to the below:

Zakariya in his prayer lists down the reasons why he cannot have a child i.e. his wife is barren and he is very old. He repeats this again when the angels give him the news of the birth of a child. His repeating himself stressing that it is impossible for him a child for the above reasons.

Then the angel replies to him that Allah says it is easy for Him to give Zakariya, a son. The angel continues and says that it is easy for Allah just as He created Zakariya from nothing. indirectly Meaning that since Allah created Adam from nothing and everyone on this earth are from Adam’s progeny.

In simple words, Allah says that giving Zakariah, a son is easy for Him especially since he created Adam from nothing. It just struck me that Adidas borrowed this concept and made it into their popular tag line, “Impossible is Nothing” but I digress.

Then the Surah continues on to the story of Maryam or Mary.

And mention in the Book ˹O Prophet, the story of˺ Mary when she withdrew from her family to a place in the east,

and screened herself off from them. Then We sent to her Our angel, ˹Gabriel,˺ appearing before her as a man, perfectly formed.

She appealed, “I truly seek refuge in the Most Compassionate from you! ˹So leave me alone˺ if you are God-fearing.”

He responded, “I am only a messenger from your Lord, ˹sent˺ to bless you with a pure son.”

She wondered, “How can I have a son when no man has ever touched me, nor am I unchaste?”

He replied, “So will it be! Your Lord says, ‘It is easy for Me. And so will We make him a sign for humanity and a mercy from Us.’ It is a matter ˹already˺ decreed.”

So she conceived him and withdrew with him to a remote place. Quran 16:22

What we see here is a repeat of the previous story of Zakariah. An angel comes to Mary to inform her about the birth of a son, she says, “How can I have a son when no man has ever touched me, nor am I unchaste?” meaning to say that she says it is impossible.

Then the angel again repeats Allah’s previous statement, “It is easy for Me”. In other words, Allah says, “Its nothing for me”

IMO, mentioning the stories of Zakariah and Mary one after the other is to highlight the simple fact that creating life for Allah is easy and in simple words, not a big deal.

Adam was created out of nothing. It was an impossible act and Allah performed it. That does not mean that Adam was divine.

Zakariah had a son, Yahya or John when he was very old and his wife was barren. It was an impossible act and Allah performed it. That does not mean that Yahya was divine.

Maryam had a son, Isa or Jesus when she was a virgin. It was an impossible act and Allah performed it. Then it should not mean that Isa was divine.

In the end, Allah knows best. I hope this helps.

Anis Khan

Quran makes it clear repeatedly that Jesus, peace be upon him, had no father. He is referred as Son of Mary in Quran. His birth was miraculous, a show of the power and wisdom of Allah.

To say that a man who has no father is son of God is not a logical arguement. If that was the case the first man Adam, who had no father or mother, has more right to be declared son of God. If we accept Adam as man, we should also accept Jesus as a man.

Allah says in Quran:

3:59. Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was.

You can read more on this wikipedia link

Fayezah Iqbal

Educator at Unacademy (2017-present)

There is no father of Jesus Christ (pbuh) according to Quranic injunction.He (pbuh) is considered one of the prophets sent by Allah born from Virgin Mary or Maryam ( pbuh) sent to mankind to give them the true message of one God and his omnipotence and omnipresence.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...