headlogo

In the book of Daniel, one of the prophecies talk about when the Messiah was to be born. Jesus birth fits it. Does that mean he is God?

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 1:53am, 7th Mar 2018. | Views: 105 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
1:53am, 7th Mar 2018.

Yes, there are many Old Testament prophecies that Jesus fulfilled as the Messiah. He was God; He came out of God; He is also often called the Son of God or God the Son. My favorite Old Testament prophecy about the coming Messiah is Isaiah 9:6 “For a child will be born for us; a son will be given to us; and the government will be upon His shoulders. He will be named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (The Incarnation is explained here more than 700 years before it happened). Also Isaiah chapter 53 is awesome for the detailed prophecies of the suffering Messiah. The Prophet Micah said the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. I think there are more than 300 Old Testament prophecies that fit Jesus, if I remember correctly.

This is what the closest disciple to Jesus wrote about Him: “In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were created through Him…. The Word became flesh and dwelled among us. No one has ever seen God. The One and Only Son- the One who is at the Father’s side - He has revealed Him.” (John 1: 1, 2, 14, 18)

Jesus said “I and the Father are one.” and in another place: “If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father.”

The Apostle Paul wrote in Colossians chapter 1: (talking about the Son in previous verses…) “Who is the image of the invisible God…. for by Him were all things created…All things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things and by Him all things hold together …. For God was pleased that all His fullness should dwell in Him.” (verses 13–19)

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles (unbelievers), believed on in the world, taken up into glory.” -(1 Timothy 3:16)

The Bible teaches about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit….being God. Even in the first chapter of the Bible, in Genesis 1:26, during the days of creation: “And then God said ‘Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness”. So He gave us a clue even in the first chapter !

David Rosen

studied at Brooklyn College

Messiah did not always mean ‘son of God’. What Messiah meant in Book of Daniel could have meant is ‘military leader’ or even ‘qualified heir to King David’.

I am going to pass on some CONJECTURES. Please don’t be offended. You can believe or know anything you want.

Here is a secular anthropology interpretation.

Messiah was a word referring to great military leaders. It originally did not refer to God, son of God or even a spirit. The word was originally referred to the ceremony for conferring temporal power.

The word Messiah in Hebrew literally means ‘anointed’. The priest would declare a man to be ‘king’ by pouring oil on his head. I don’t know what the ceremony was supposed to signify. The ceremony was very holy.

The priests and prophets of Isreal would anoint people they wanted as king. The king would be a military leader. Samuel anointed both King Saul and King David, for instance. Cyrus, king of Persia, was called a Messiah in the Bible. Although he probably wasn’t anointed in the same ceremony as a Hebrew king, the Hebrew priests held him in great respect.

The Messiah was supposed to be a direct descendent of David. So he was basically supposed to be a king. He would come back and lead the Hebrew nation. However, he couldn’t officially lead unless he had been first anointed. So it is possible that the word Messiah is referring to the ceremony rather than any supernatural status.

So some of the writers Of the Bible may have interpreted the word Messiah to mean a mortal leader that would bring the nation of Israel back to its former greatness. This is a conjecture.

2. Jewish interpretation. Jews believe that the Messiah will be a direct descendent of King David. He will have supernatural powers. The righteous dead will be resurrected when Messiah comes. Religious Jews believe in a Kingdom of God with Israel led by Prince Messiah.

The Messiah is supposed to be a descendant of King David, who was a mortal. The Messiah will not be God or even the son of God. He will be descended from a king of Israel, therefore being mortal. He will be the new King of Israel, working for God Himself.

3. My Asperger demon says:

The Messiah would have to be in the paternal lineage of the King of David to be a King. If Mary was a descendent of David, then he wouldn’t be in the PATERNAL lineage of King David. She was a virgin, right? If Joseph were a descendent of King David, then he wouldn’t be the true father.

So baby Jesus couldn’t be in the PATERNAL lineage. He would become King of Israel by anointing,

Therefore, Jesus couldn’t be qualified to be the hereditary King of Israel. So there is something wrong with the strict literal interpretation of the word ‘virgin’ as a girl that never had sex.

Daryl Hubber

Actually, Jesus doesn’t fit the timetable in Daniel 9. Besides the fact that five or six different starting points to the 490 year period have been proposed (it should probably be interpreted as a symbolic rather than a literal number), the events of the final period of seven years simply don’t fit the facts.

After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ an [not “the”, the article is not present] Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing.

The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him (Dn 9:26–27)

An "anointed one" (the word Messiah refers to an anointed leader - usually a king or high priest) is killed at the beginning of the final week. Then, three and a half years later (in the 'middle of the week’) the evil ruler who will come stops sacrifices and offerings in the temple and sets up the "abomination of desolation". Then after another three and a half years he himself comes to his end.

According to this timetable, three and a half years after Jesus died the temple sacrifices should have ceased and the 'abomination' should have taken their place. Then after another three and a half years the evil king who did this should have died and the temple should have been rededicated. None of this happened.

On the other hand, we know that in the second century BCE (which is the focus of the prophecies of the book of Daniel according to scholars of the Hebrew Bible) the legitimate high priest Onias III was assassinated around three and a half years before forces loyal to the Syrian tyrant Antiochus Epiphanes instituted a foreign cult in the Jerusalem temple, and that in around another three and a half years Antiochus died in a foreign country, the Maccabees defeated the Seleucid armies, and the temple was rededicated. These events fit the outline of Daniel chapter nine perfectly, unlike rather confused evangelical interpretations - many of which detach the seventieth week from the timeline completely and project it thousands of years into the future.

Shelby Anguiano

No. Unfortunately you (and many others… now and long before now) misunderstand the word. “Messiah.” first, it is an inaccurate English rendering. Second, the meaning given to it is inaccurate.

The term doesn't just mean “Chosen One.” It means (chosen… by means of having been) Anointed One. But it does not mean just any old choosing or anointed.

When Israel first demanded a king (1 Samuel 8:5-22; 10:25), Samuel was sent to find Saul and upon doing so, manifested Saul's being chosen as king by pouring fine quality olive oil on his head. “Anointing” him, as it were. 1 Samuel 10:1; 12:3, 5, 17, 24; 26:11, 16, 23

The same occurred with David when he was chosen to replace Saul. 1 Samuel 16:1, 3, 6, 7, 12, 13

All the kings of Israel were “chosen” this way — a priest of the MOST Holy poured oil on their heads, thus making the designation - although after David it was usually upon a son of the preceding king… but not in two very notable cases:

Jereboam, a former general of Solomon, who led a rebellion against Rehoboam, Solomon’s heir to the throne, when that heir proved to be a tyrannical leader. This rebellion resulted in the split of the nation into 2 tribes — the 10-tribe kingdom of “Israel,” first led by “King” Jeroboam… and the 2-tribe kingdom of “Judah,” consisting of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, which stayed loyal to David and so to his grandson, King Rehoboam

Christ, who is the Holy (Spirit — 2 Corinthians 3:17, 18) and Son of the MOST Holy.

In the case of Jeroboam, rather than turn to the MOST Holy and ask Him to intercede further with Rehoboam’s tyranny (and perhaps anointing anothrr from the line from David as king), he took matters into his own hands. After an attempted but unsuccessful coup, Jeroboam usurped his position from the line (David's) designated by the MOST Holy and formed a separate, new “kingdom” which kept the name “Israel.” Then, rather than have the people of the newly formed kingdom still worship at the temple in capitol city of Jerusalem, he began an illegal priesthood and established false worship in his newly established capitol, Bethel, in the mountains of Samaria… to which thry fled to escape execution for treason… and which is how they came to be known as the “Samaritans.”

In the case of Christ, he was anointed but not in the manner of any Israelite king before him. The “oil" used was not olive oil… but was God’s own life substance — His breath, seed, and blood: holy spirit. It was the “oil of exultation,” which was not poured from a flask wielded by a priest, but from the hand of the MOST Holy Himself. It was poured upon him in the “form” of a “dove,” indicating not only his being chosen… but the peace of the MOST Holy being upon him.

This choosing… anointing… its manner and its meaning is what's behind the term most erroneously pen and utter as “Messiah.” It is an error because the TRUE term means so much more than this word (“Messiah") could ever depict. Because the TRUE term has very specific meaning.

The true term is MischaJaH. It is true and accurate. Because it doesn't just mean “Chosen/Anointed.” It means, very specifically…

“Chosen of [by means of a direct anointing by]JaH.”

He is the Son, Holy (Spirit), Heir, and Mischa… chosen/anointed One… of JaH, who is the Father and MOST Holy. Psalm 68:4

So, when we write/say “Messiah,” we are not only diminishing the designation, but diminishing both the Holy, who is Christ, the Son and Designee, but worse, the MOST Holy,JaH (“Who Breathes”… armies of spirits/lives into existence… i.e., “VeH" — Genesis 2:7; John 3:8; 20:22; Acts 2:2), Who is the Father and Designor.

The Son is God in that he is the “Holy,” and Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6). But he is not the Father, who is the “MOST Holy" and ALmighty God (Genesis 35:11; Exodus 6:3).

And contrary to the false teaching of some and misled beliefs of those who believe them… there is NO third “person.” Christ is the “Holy” and JaH is the “MOST Holy" (“Holy of Holies") in the “temple" of the kingdom of God. Rrevelation 21:22; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19; Ephesians 2:19-21; 1 Peter 2:5; John 14:23

There really is only the two.

I hope that helps.

Peace!

Carole Hawkins Humble

Devoted follower of the Lord Jesus Christ

Jesus is God, we are told this in the Bible. He is known by many names - He is the Word: John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

The prophet Isaiah tells of some of the many names of Jesus. In these names his deity is confirmed: Isaiah 9: 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Michael Barnett

I’ll just leave this here for you because I could not explain nearly so well the facts of the matter than what is contained in these audio files.

Session 7 addresses your question specifically and meticulously. Study notes to accompany the lectures are very helpful.

The lectures are presented by a Jewish rabbi from a perspective that is counter to your premise that “Jesus birth fits it.” Please don’t balk at the Jewish approach. Weigh the information against what you have previously heard/studied and draw the most reasonable conclusion. I promise the audio files will not be a waste of your time!

Same links as above:

Stacy Readd Dixon

works at Self-Employment

Yes. That and dozens of other prophecies perfectly fulfilled to point to Jesus as the Messiah. The test of any prophecy is its fulfillment. The details of Jesus’ birth, life and death are beautifully described in so many books. My favorite is Isaiah. Check out Chapter 53.

Heidi Paul

former Litigation Secretary for many years and Bible students

JESUS said the following in John 12:44…

“When a man believes in me, he does not believe in only me, but in the One who sent me. WHEN HE LOOKS AT ME, HE SEES THE ONE WHO SENT ME”

In John 14:7,9 He says

“If you really knew me, you would know My Father as well. FROM NOW ON, YOU DO KNOW HIM AND HAVE SEEN HIM”

(9) “Don't you know me Philip, even after I have been amongst you such a long time? ANYONE WHO HAS SEEN ME HAS SEEN THE FATHER. How can you say “show us the Father”? (and here's the point)(10) “”Dont you know that the Father is in me? “

(11) “BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT I AM In THE FATHER AND THE FATHER IS IN ME”

This is truly a fulfiment of the prophecy of which you speak. God told the Israelites that His Name was forever “I Am” (YHWH) and Jesus said that of Himself. ISAIAH is full of prophecies concerning the coming of Jesus. Part of the reason why people are confused is because they dont realise or have been wrongly taught that we worship three different People, wheras we worship a tri-unit (trinity) Who together is Father/Son and Holy Spirit (Who is God's Spirit/God-in-spirit) but God is also “God-in-Son and Son-in God” and so if you wanted to say that GOD IS (I AM”) body, soul and Spirit it could be so interpreted.

That Jesus is the Mesiah, I am told that Jesus never actually said that about Himself. What He DID keep repeating was that He WAS sent by God. (Ie we can then safely assume that He WAS the Messiah by inference) As I see it, He must have already clearly known that “something was up “ when he went to the temple to discuss with the those teachers (Rabbis) the words of God. Did they recognise Him for who He was? The Holy Spirit did and testified before them, but we are told in the Book of Romans that the message is hidden from the Jews until the full number of Gentiles has come in.( The Word is veiled to them!) (Romans 11:7, 25) Thus even today many devout Jews still believe that the Messiah is still to come. To me this says He IS the Messiah Who HAS come, accordingly fulfilling all the prophecies. Jesus said one of the ways we would be able to tell who He was was by the miracles He did and that were done in His Name.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...