headlogo

What Would Happen if Google Font Service Shut Down Tomorrow?

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 1:32pm, 17th Oct 2017. | Views: 245 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
1:32pm, 17th Oct 2017.

Google Reader Google Buzz

Would the entire internet break without Google Fonts? Not at all. When Google pulled the plug on Google Reader, I could no longer access my RSS feeds on my iPad. If Google killed Google Fonts we would suddenly see a lot of Arial and Times New Roman but that’s about the worst of it.

Designers and people who appreciate typography would probably be upset but the average person might not even notice anything different. Defaulting back to standard system fonts wouldn’t be the end of the world. The web has worked just fine without web fonts since it was invented in 1989 and would continue to work just fine without them going forward.

And if we didn’t have the Google Fonts service people could still download the fonts and host them themselves. All of the open-source fonts will still remain open-source. It’s easy to make your own self-hosted kit using FontSquirrel or else purchase a commercial font through MyFonts or FontShop—not to mention the numerous other font hosting services to switch to such as Typekit (see my typography resources section for a complete list). And there are plenty of other free fonts available on sites other than Google Fonts.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...