What is the difference between knowledge and intelligence?

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 4:15am, 12th Feb 2018. | Views: 63 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
4:15am, 12th Feb 2018.

Let’s say you have a supreme memory.

You can memorize all the facts from the books.

You can tell me what topic is discussed on certain page.

You can even recite the page content smoothly, word by word.

My question is, can you solve your life challenges using those knowledge?

If no, you are knowledgeable.

If yes, you are knowledgeable and intelligent.

In other words,

Knowledge is something you know.

Intelligence is the thing you do with something you know.

Both are important. Balance is key.

Sachin Mour

lives in Stuttgart Area, Germany (2017-present)

Steve Wozniak: expelled from University of Colorado Boulder in his first year for hacking into the institution's computer system.

Steve Jobs: Wozniak seems very knowledgable in electronics maybe i can learn from him.

“Hey Woz, i have a job to create a circuit board for the arcade video game Breakout by Atari. Atari has offered me $100 (equivalent to $540 in 2016) for each chip that was eliminated in the machine but i am not really good with circuit board so maybe you can help me and could split the fee.”

Steve Wozniak: “Sure steve, seems like a good deal.”

Steve Jobs: “Hey Woz we got some money and here is your share.”

Steve Wozniak: “Awesome”

Steve Jobs: “Hey woz, I have another idea to create a home computer. would you be interested in that”

Steve Wozniak: “Seems interesting. Lets do it”

Steve wozniak single handedly designed the hardware, circuit board designs, and operating system for the Apple I.

Steve Jobs: “This is amazing, This is the best thing ever. I could totally sell this.”

And the rest is history.

Intelligent people know what they are good at and what they are not so they go to Knowledgable people, learn from them, hires them and makes use of the skills they have.

Dhruv Garg

In search for Reality (If there's any)...

Intelligence and knowledge are two different things. However one without the other is a waste. As per Merriam-Webster Dictionary:-

knowledge | information, understanding, or skill that you get from experience or education

intelligence | the ability to learn or understand things or to deal with new or difficult situations>

Knowledge is the information about things you have. What is the speed of light? That is knowledge. What does a motor/generator do? That is knowledge.

Intelligence is the ability to grasp more knowledge or to make use of the existing knowledge you have. You know the speed of light, now why is it important and how and where you can use its value - that is intelligence. You know what a motor does, but where you can use it to your advantage - that is intelligence. You know what a motor does, but you understand(not just know) how it does it; that is knowledge.

Knowledge without intelligence is like having a million dollars but not knowing what to do with it. You might be knowledgeable, but not necessarily intelligent. You might know a lot of things, but where do you apply that knowledge and how do you do it - that is intelligence. Or how can you generate new knowledge from existing knowledge - that falls under the department of intelligence.

Similarly, intelligence without knowledge is like having a car (and that too a sports car), without having the fuel to power it. You know the way, and you know how to go, and you have a vehicle to carry you; but you do not have the necessary fuel to power it. You know how and where to use E=mc^2 but you do not know the value of speed of light.

However, the second case is removable, because if you are intelligent enough, you can easily learn new things or gain knowledge. But if you are not intelligent enough, then you have to work hard to be so or even to gain more knowledge. Cramming doesn't work in real-life situations.

Chas Warren

enthralled by philosophy, faith, language, skepticism, indie publishing, grammar

Do you mind a metaphor? I hope not, because that's what I'm going to use to answer your question.

Here goes.

Intelligence is a cup, and knowledge is what you put in it.

Oxford Dictionaries defines intelligence as "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills." That's a different definition than my metaphor, but they describe the same thing. In my metaphor, intelligence is analogous to a cup in the sense that it is a container, and the more that it can contain -- the greater your ability to acquire knowledge [the greater your capacity for knowledge] -- the greater your intelligence.

You are born with intelligence, but you aren't born with knowledge. We aren't all born with cups of the same size. Your cup might be enormous. Maybe it is capable of holding twice the amount of knowledge [facts and information] as the cups of your peers. How big was Einstein's cup? I have no idea, but I'm guessing Olympic-swimming pool-sized compared to mine.

Many people are equipped with 64 oz. cups, but that huge capacity doesn't benefit them, because they keep their cups only 1/2 full. In fact, you probably know at least one person who seem to keep theirs empty.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...